Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:29:32 EDT 2017

>From time to time, tickling the RBN nodes on 160 proves that the band is
open, sometimes nicely so. The almost constant FT8 signals nail it.

People get on the band when they think there will be someone to talk to,
this includes trying to get some elusive DX.

In the end FT8 will prove that the band is there. The extent to which the
band is actually open, by the constant FT8, will start to change people's
thought about when the bands are normally open, both time of day and
seasons.

The number of CW contest logs submitted to contest sponsors is going up.
This is decades after No Code. And it certainly seems like some ops are
learning their CW skills after they have been a ham for a while. People
have been saying that CW seemingly forever. I still love CW but truthfully
I can't argue that it isn't obsolete.

*** The question that doesn't get asked is whether CW is still FUN.***

If it's still fun, it ain't going away, including such as the thrill of
digging a rare one on CW out of the noise with your own brain and ears.

Anyone who was around when we lost 11 meters, knows that lack of activity
loses frequencies.

Bring it on.  Bring it all on. We'll figure it out just fine. There are
some really smart people in the ham ranks. We'll do OK

73, Guy K2AV