Topband: Shortened Radial Experiments

Michael Walker va3mw at portcredit.net
Thu Oct 26 23:16:06 EDT 2017

In my case I have lots of space and I can lay down radials or do elevated.

My vertical part is about 85ft and the rest is horizontal.  It has served
me well enough, but I honestly thing it could do much better and that is
why I ask.

My problem is I don't know how on this list truly knows what they are
talking about and who doesn't.  Therefore, I tend to review published
papers that have had some sort of peer review.

I do believe that 1/4 wave radials have excessive ground losses, which is
what I have now and it shows a very nice almost flat across the band.  We
know that is not the sign of an efficient antenna.  Yes, it shows about 37
ohms at its best, but there is more work to be done.

Mike