Topband: More on radials

kd9sv kd9sv at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 10:00:34 EDT 2017

About 20 years ago I did the DOG (dipole on ground) experiment) at my
northern Indiana location.  Many others have likely done their own DOG tests
but my results were that the dipole needed to be shortened by nearly 50% to
still be resonant when lying on the grassy soil at this location.  Based on
this data and wanting something that worked well I installed 1/4 wave
radials for 80 meters AND also 1/4 wave for 160 meters.  I figured if the
short ones don't get you then the long ones will. FWIW, YMMV, de gary, kd9sv