Topband: future of ham radio: planting seeds for new recruits

David Cutter d.cutter at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 28 11:20:46 EDT 2017

Having just done another weekend of Jamboree On The Air, I'd like to suggest
that presenting several modes at an event such as this is the way to go.
None of the scouts had any history of amateur radio and didn't know what to
expect, but they saw the wires we strung up and they had first hand
experience of talking to folks via a REAL radio.

I accept that for many years, now, the general population has had
near-perfect sound and vision pumped into their homes and have no idea what
radio communication is about or tuning into a station: it's all push-button.

We showed them crystal set building, Morse Code, phonetics, HF, VHF, sdr
waterfalls and digital.  This was what you might call an intensive
introduction course and they went away buzzing.  I don't think it's enough
to show just one mode, least of all just one box talking to another.  Each
"course" has 5 half-hour slots and they were moved around the whole circuit
with a big bell.  We did 2 sessions on Saturday and 2 on Sunday; all
together catering for about 70 youngsters and there were quite a few who
were as bright as a button and I hope will return.

We will follow up at troop level to see who wants to do more.  Next February
we will do TDOTA with the same formula for the Guides.  We do this every 2
or 3 years and it's always a success.  Time will tell if it actually gets
them into amateur radio, I am just planting seeds.

We are putting an article together for the local newspaper and if anyone
wants a copy, send me an email.  We'll also put it up on our website.

I believe that youngsters are the future of ham radio but you've got catch
'em.

73

David
G3UNA
Ripon And District Amateur Radio Society