Topband: Top loaded vertical help,

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 20:55:19 EDT 2017

Trevor,

I have a setup similar to what you are wanting.  The vertical is something like 68 feet tall.   I made a very large coil using 50 feet of 1/4 inch aluminum tubing.  The coil is about 9-1/2 inches in diameter and similar length.  It is placed about half way up.  If you want a picture of the coil, I'll send it to you.  I like the coil as opposed to the real estate needed and ropes and wires to maintain.

If you have a 70 foot vertical, regardless of how you load it, the R is going to be low if you have a good ground system.  By low I mean something in the general neighborhood of 12 ohms plus or minus a few. You need to keep adding radials until the R doesn't want to continue to go appreciably lower.  You don't want a skimpy ground system which you can install that will give you 50 ohms.  That's a recipe for an inefficient antenna.

The matching is simple to do.  Just wind a big (hairpin) coil using some stiff copper wire - #10 or #12.  I think mine is probably 2 inches diameter and a foot or so long.  Looks like a slinky.  It goes across the feed point from the base of the vertical to ground system.  You can experiment with the length, number of turns, etc until you get a good match.

For 80 meters I have a quarter wave wire that is spaced out from the vertical about 4 feet and about 50 feet from ground level.  That wire slopes out from the vertical at less than a 45 degree angle and then from about 15 feet above ground it comes back in to the base.  The antennas are fed with separate coaxes and the 80m antenna has its own hairpin coil.

OK, it all works wonderfully because it is located 70 feet from the sea.  I do believe the 160m antenna would work very well without the salt water, however, with an excellent radial system.

CU starting last week of October.

73... Stan, ZF9CW