Topband: Shunt Fed Tower Question

Chuck Dietz w5prchuck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 11:17:47 EDT 2018

I would not use any inductance unless the tower naturally resonates above
1800 kHz. If I were going to use a cage for the gamma connection, I would
make a small cage that would only be on one side of the tower. I find that
the shield of old coax spaced a couple of feet from the tower works fine. I
would start with a variable capacitor in series with the coax center
conductor feed to the gamma connection to the tower. Find the best dip,
replace it with the closest fixed cap and use the variable cap from the
gamma connection to ground to find the value that resonates it perfectly.
(The dips will be sharp.)

Good luck Herb!

Chuck, W5PR