Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

k3ky at radioprism.com k3ky at radioprism.com
Sun Aug 19 21:23:48 EDT 2018

Oooh- here's the deal with that- Although I totally agree with the
intent of the petition, and would otherwise add my name to it,
I have several problems with this:

Please note, I DO NOT intend to stir up any political discussion
here!

(1.) 100,000 valid entries is indeed a massively uphill battle
for an amateur fraternity numbering only around 700,000 or so for
the entire US. What with rampant apathy and deep divisions in the
country, I believe this may not be an attainable goal. Too bad.
I would very much miss WWV and WWVH. I think they may well get
the axe anyway. Too many promises have been made to the un-needy/
undeserving... and the country is hemorrhaging money anyway.

(2.) I have always felt *very* exposed in terms of privacy. Up
to now I have studiously avoided all lemming-like enterprises
such as Facebook, Google, Pay Pal, Twitter, et al... OK call me a
Luddite. I prefer, ahem, 'slow adopter'. And I am sooooooo glad
today I'm not being exploited very much by such firms. Also I do
anonomized searches (Startpage, DuckDuckGo, etc.) I have always
been reluctant to give up any personal information to anyone
unless absolutely necessary, i.e. for Social Security etc.
How much less likely am I to want to get on a White House list
or any other similar thing considering *today's* chilling,
poisoned environment? Sorry, guys, I'll sit this one out.

(3.) Even in the unlikely event the 100,000 milestone is
actually achieved, what guarantee is there it wouldn't just fall
on deaf ears? I strongly suspect the Executive Branch agenda
isn't much congruent with the actual needs and wants of the
majority- and that seems to be the case most of the time
regardless of which party is in ascendancy...

73, David K3KY