Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Aug 22 11:54:21 EDT 2018

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 03:17:57 +0000
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh at msn.com>
To: "k3ky at radioprism.com" <k3ky at radioprism.com>, Topband
<topband at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: OT - US Hams, WWV closure

##  David  does not ..get it.  WWV et all is  both  a  Time  AND  Freq  station.    I use the 20 mhz WWV  to align the TCXOs in  all 4 of my yaesu  xcvrs.
I would be dead in the water without them.  BTW, if you do use  WWV  to align the TCXO in your  xcvr, any brand,  use the highest freq  WWV that you can RX.
I have used the 20 mhz  WWV during the daytime even though it was weak, and had to use a 250 hz  cw  filter, the  job can still be done correctly.    If instead you use
say the  2.5 mhz  WWV.. vs the  20 mhz wwv,  your  error  will be off by  8 X.   IE:  1 hz off at  2.5 mhz  = 8 hz off at 20 mhz.    I can typ align the  TCXO at 20 mhz wwv,
within a fraction of one hz.    I pre-program all the  wwv freqs in the memory, cw mode,  narrow filter etc, and leave the covers off.    The  xcvr has to be turned on for several hours
before you can attempt to do the alignment.

##  ANYBODY can sign the petition..from any country .   I just signed it  minutes ago.   Who cares if they have your  email address ?   The cost savings they are talking about amounts to very little.
It  would cost a helluva lot more to  dismantle them completely.   Besides  TIME and freq standards,  WWV  provides  for a myriad of other  features.

Jim   VE7RF

David,

Like you I support the petition.  However, I will lend my name to it because I don't want to selfishly chicken out for all the valid reasons you note.

Heck, it was only last week that Medicare, after many years, sent me a new card, proudly announcing how pleased they now are with the fact that cards do not need to show a social security number.  Gosh, it took what, 50 years, for that revelation to occur to them!

Yet, I'm still asked several times a month for my SSN, and stopped in my tracks if I don't give it.

I agree with you in that I can't understand the prevailing rush to abandon one's privacy.  It amazes me that almost 30 percent of this planet's population actively uses Facebook.

I haven't the slightest intention of ever joining the braggarts, liars and narcissists in the playpens where they almost daily feed, feast and upchuck .

However, my life has been worthily enriched by Google Earth, Google Translate, and yes, out of laziness, or as you might put it, carelessness, Google Search.  I buy stuff from Amazon and use EZ-Pass on my car.  I know I'm walking naked, but so is everyone else (and don't be so sure that you aren't as well).

Take comfort, David, in the fact that naked or perhaps a bit less so, we're both smarter than most of the dolts and dopes out there who collect all our stuff.

73,

Charles, W2SH.