Topband: Air Wound Coil

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 22:41:11 EDT 2018

Trevor,

I have found that winding a coil by hand may not look too hot but for a 160 Meter Inv-L they are easy to do. I use my Hytower with it's 65' radials as the counter poise and run a 12 Gauge multi-strain house wire from Lowes over a big Oak tree. Goes up and over the top and almost starts to come down on the far side. Ended up with needing about 123-121 feet of wire. Switches between about 1840Khz up to 1925Khz or so thanks to the switch. And about 60 Khz bandwidth. You can see where I ended up years later with an old commercial broadcast 56uH coil tapped thru a multi-tap switch on my qrz.com/ki7m page. Also added a Balun Design 1:1  just before going into the coil. The inv-L seems to get out real good both stateside and for DX. Hearing them is the problem I am still trying to work out. Too many projects, to little energy here.

Terry
KI7M