Topband: Radial Wire System Comparison - (was adding a parasitic reflect

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:58:06 EST 2018

 >> I have researched Laport's material, and find nothing that compares
multi-tower array performance when using insulated radial wire versus
uninsulated wire when using a bus wire at the radial overlap points.  Since
his worked in the 1950s mostly focused on directional broadcast tower arrays
-- and the use of heavy-gauge wire, possibly insulated radial wire wasn't
considered because of long-term insulation decomposition that one day
>> results in electrical contact between overlapping radials.

I doubt if you'll find anything in the broadcast literature.  The
reason is that the standard DA ground system as far as I know, has
always involved strapping radials to a copper strap running along the
line of radial intersection, clipping off the radial wire that runs
past the strap.  And the standard ground system wire is AWG solid bare
soft drawn.  I think engineering firms like everything done the same
way from one site to the next to reduce variables for a full proof and
get a DA dialed in to the licensed pattern.

Why the teflon insulation?

73

Rob
K5UJ