Topband: Condx from NA to EU last night / sunrise enhancement, or, lack of it

Nick Hall-Patch nhp at ieee.org
Thu Feb 1 22:48:55 EST 2018

Roger's contention that sunrise peaking was not what it was decades
ago has intrigued me, especially considering that he has pointed out
that he can still observe the noise floor dropping at
sunrise.  Others have suggested that they are still seeing sunrise
enhancements, either for sunrise at their location, or for at sunrise
at the transmitter.   But they are usually referencing paths
different from those from North America to Europe.

I cross-posted Roger's observations to the list maintained by Medium
Wave Circle, a European group of experienced DXers who chase long
distance receptions at the broadcasters' frequencies of
530-1700kHz.   A distinct advantage of propagation observations at
such frequencies is that the targets are on the air every day at the
same time. (the disadvantage is that target signals are often buried
in interference from broadcasters closer to home).   The other down
side of any such observations up until now is that they are usually
as anecdotal as those being related for 160m.

Paul Crankshaw, a DXer in Troon, Scotland posted the following:

>>I would concur with that.
(referring to Roger's observations)

He also posted some further findings that relate to this thread:

>>The following might be of interest to some, though relating to
>>topband it  might be marginally off-topic!
>>
>>Digital mode FT8  has revolutionised top band reception here. It is
>>a low power mode with "overs" of just 15 seconds.
>>
>>I have set my recorder so that when it is not recording medium wave
>>at the top of the hour it switches to 1840 kHz were the FT8 activity is.
>>
>>The software I use is
>>JTDX
>><https://www.release.jtdx.tech/Windows/JTDX-18.0.0.133-GA-win32.zip>https://www.release.jtdx.tech/Windows/JTDX-18.0.0.133-GA-win32.zip
>>Equally you can use
>>WSJT-X
>><https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html>https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
>>
>>A screenshot of JTDX
>><https://www.dropbox.com/s/oansalwus2dzyzn/jtdx.jpg?dl=0>https://www.dropbox.com/s/oansalwus2dzyzn/jtdx.jpg?dl=0
>>
>>All stations received may be uploaded automatically to pskreporter
>>which maps reception.
>>
>>Here is my overnight reception plotted by pskreporter.
>><https://www.dropbox.com/s/15ccpvbiybxh1eb/1feb.jpg?dl=0>https://www.dropbox.com/s/15ccpvbiybxh1eb/1feb.jpg?dl=0
>>
>>I find that reception of North America / Latin America stations
>>does broadly match MW propagation though west coast North America
>>is more easily received on 1840 kHz. Peak time for WCNA is usually
>>around 0400 although today (this posted at around 0900 on 1
>>February) I notice a different pattern.  The station mapped in WA,
>>W7FI was logged (for last time, it may have been heard earlier) at
>>0648. The ID station at 0724.
>>
>>No California made it through last night.  As I write the band is
>>quite dead. The last couple of stations, one in IL and one in Cuba
>>were received at 0815 UTC

So, further food for thought.   Paul would have benefited from the
his noise levels dropping at local sunrise, but has not seen much
effect from that, let alone any sunrise peaks.

Are there similar FT8 observations from those in North America who
would not have benefited from local sunrise at their locations, but
be recording signals from European amateurs as sunrise occurred at
their locations?

73

Nick
VE7DXR