Topband: [TowerTalk] 160 vertical advice

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wesattaway at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 10 09:28:19 EST 2018

This is Wes agreeing with Wes re the "too much loss in the system".  In an
efficient system on 160 the SWR curve should not be so broad.

Years ago I had an Inverted L configured like what you have, with the
vertical wire going up about 65'  spaced about 18" off the tower.  The SWR
was broad.  I think what happens is that there is a lot of coupling between
the vertical wire and the tower/antenna system.

I worked a lot of DX with this set up but after I took that system down and
put up an inverted L hanging from a high limb on a large Pine tree the
system was better, at least from an SWR standpoint.  The SWR curve was
sharper.  However, as has been recently discussed in this forum, the tree
was imposing its own influence.

The SWR curve was still broad, but nowhere near as broad as with the wire
next to the tower.

I don't know how much this kind of situation affects your transmitted signal
strength.  Possibly, not very much, depending on your ground radial system.

In any event, the antenna worked well enough to get me to the point that
most other 160 ops get to, and that is the point at which you could work
more DX if you could just hear it.  That is when you have to start working
on your RX antennas and stop worrying too much about your TX antenna.

Wes Attaway (N5WA)
(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics
AttawayForensics.com