Topband: FCC authorizes 1KW wireless power transmission

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Feb 13 12:38:15 EST 2018

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:35:53 -0500
From: Brian Pease <bpease2 at myfairpoint.net>
To: topband at contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FCC authorizes 1KW wireless power transmission

###  With only 1 KW.... ERP, they are not about to put the local power companies
vast outside plant of poles, HV lines and xfmrs..out of business any time soon.
The same outfit has been applying for these experimental licences for years now.

Jim  VE7RF

<I agree about the pie.? I have done a bit of reading.? Their
<experimental station will use a 50kW broadcast xmtr to (they say)
generate a Zenneck surface vertical EM wave with little radiation loss
into the sky by using a special "probe".? Zenneck waves are real and
have been demonstrated in a lab at a much higher frequency.? They fall
off as the square root of distance.? They well be doing field strength
vs distance measurements in Texas.? The only problem is that it takes an
infinitely long straight array of vertical antennas (ie a lot) to
generate a pure Zenneck wave.? 50 to 1 kW is another issue, not to
mention ground loss..........................