Topband: Radial plate

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 2 12:05:43 EDT 2018

I agree that resonating 8 elevated radials would be a aggravating task.
I have 8  10' elevated 125' +/- radials for my T loaded vertical.  I
made no effort to resonate them.  OTOH, for one or two radials,
resonating them is important.  N6LF covered this in his papers on
elevated radials.  antennasbyn6lf.com also a two part series in QEX 2012

My installation has significant imbalance in radial currents, as much as
3.4:1 highest to lowest as measured with an MFJ854 RF current meter that
I calibrated.  The causes are proximity to a steel building and a tower
for two of them.  The others are intermittently in forest and over grass.

With the 13ga aluminum wire I use for elevated radials the excess RF
power loss from unbalance is less than 1% I^2*R using skin depth
resistances.  I modeled (EZNEC Pro4) the antenna with 8 current sources
of the actual values in each radial.  The azimuth pattern distortion is
1db.  The gain is 0.05db lower .  The two highest current radials are
adjacent.

This leads me to believe that for 8 or more elevated radials there is
small benefit to pattern uniformity or efficiency with resonated radials
or for finding some no loss means to equalize the radial currents.  N6LF
concludes that for his recommended 10 elevated radials, efficiency and
pattern sensitivity to length and current asymmetry is low.

I've had good results mechanically with 13ga aluminum electric fence
wire.  There is no skin depth problem on 160m which may happen with
cheap copperweld steel.  Aluminum is also available 9ga which is tough
stuff.  As noted the very little stretch doesn't matter.

Grant KZ1W