Topband: Beverage Antenna Tuning

pa5mw at home.nl pa5mw at home.nl
Wed Jul 4 11:09:59 EDT 2018

Hi Ash,

Some info:

-  SWR curve median will always slowly rise.
No action; this has to do with parameters which slowly affect at higher
freq.
That is rather irrelevant on the lowbands 160-80-40

- Termination +matching adjustment is optimal at 'minimal amplitude' of the
SWR curve
Meaning; the waves must be 'as small as possible'.
It might never be flat, I have never ben able to get there. Maybe others can
give better advice here.
But does it matter when not SWR 1? No.

- Matching optimal beverage impedance to coax
Like when all is set optimal but the whole beverage antenna is not 450 Ohms
but 530 ==> stick with the 9:1
Or, at a BOG where installation is near ground, impedance is abt 220 Ohms
==> stick with 4:1
A better matching is possible by altering the transformer windings.
But  again, does it matter?
Can you make more QSO's?
I have not seen/read any proof on this yet.

Please also note:

Local environment, as well as length/install- height of beverage wire will
determin the 3D pattern
Local ground/air humidity will change performance slightly

Adjusting F/B to local BC signal can be distracting because:
BC freq is out of band and a good F/B at <1600kHz does not mean it is now
optimal at 1830kHz as well..
Groundwave BC signals arrive at 0 degrees; you want to adjust FB at incoming
skywave (10< >50 degrees) signals instead
What reference you should use depends on your QTH and the first wave of
incoming (Europe?) QRM

I hope others, with more experience on this subject will have a better
answer here.

In general, my experience is a beverage antenna will work rather quickly and
perform well.
There is just no bad-adjustment possible.

73 Mark, PA5MW