Topband: Beverage Antenna Tuning

n4is at n4is.com n4is at n4is.com
Sat Jul 7 12:47:59 EDT 2018

Guys

Some concepts really belong to the last century, a beverage antenna is very inefficient for moderns days. Ground wave noise is very high everywhere and it is vertical polarized, any vertical polarized RX antenna will hear man made noise very well.

The only really way to increase signal to noise ratio is directivity, front back actually just work on the opposite way , when you optimize front back the directivity is impacted and you increase the noise coming from the front lobe, where the DX signal is coming from.

A pair of flags, or EWE's, K9AY or DHDL's, all of them  are loaded loops can reach very high RDF in only 50m. You need 150 m to do what a flag can do in 5m.

If you are not convinced just look again what NX4D and myself did in the last 10 years. Doug worked 311 on 160m and I am at 298, but I heard 312 countries on 160m form a city lot, my back yard is 30m x 50m, and most of them worked listening with a pair of horizontal phased loops that I call HWF. Today there are over 50 station around the world enjoying the same kind of results with HWF.

My webinars on WWROF have all you need to know for a jump start.

https://wwrof.org/webinar-archive/n4is-waller-flag-construction/

https://wwrof.org/webinar-archive/high-performance-rx-antennas-for-a-small-lot/

Noise is up!  Common mode noise and integration between RX ant TX antennas on the same polarization is a must know concept to fight noise, and work DX on any band. 160 80 and 40 is a way to go nowadays with this deep solar activity season.

You don’t need to move into the woods, efficient low band station on a city lot is a real possibility. Land is not growing and it is very expensive, noise is growing exponential.

Know and believe are different things.

My friend PP5JR just detuned his inverted L and his ground noise dropped 4 s units on his HWF. Now he believes what he knows for years. John K9UWA detuned all his towers on 160m  and now he can say the same.

Do it and believe it yourself.

Regards
JC
N4IS