Topband: N7NM's book

n4is at n4is.com n4is at n4is.com
Sun Jul 15 17:13:30 EDT 2018

Hi Bill

I noticed that too, long path was very different past solar cycles. I am not
sure if long path happened the same way before 2010. During 2010 to 2011, I
heard and worked XU7ACY 50% of the days from October to March, SSE-SSW.
December 31st 2011 the log path was stronger than  never. Several stations
on East coast worked Peter with inverted V and L's with no RX antennas.

January 1st, 2012 this path just closed back the way it used to be, very
rare and short duration.

My take is that the size of the E clouds and the height of the ionosphere
were responsible for these openings. Es is well measured at 50 MHz and
above, but at 1.8 MHz, the size of the Es cloud is very large and little or
no space for spot lights.

The 6 meter band opened at same time the SSE SSW long path closed. The
ionosphere height was very low 2010 2011 because the unusual long solar
minimum. All layers was unusual close to earth.

The long path on 2009 was not intense as 2010, 2011. What I am expecting is
this SSE-SSW long path similar to 2010 2011 to come back after 2020 solar
minimum. The difference between this and the rare long path is that the
SSE-SSW long path opens every day for weeks, on 160, 80 and 40m.

Another important point is the new observations on 6m about TEP along the
equator, the 160m long path could be the same way because some South America
stations heard XU7 and 9M2 from NNE and we SSE, the equator is between us,
it is only explanation I come up with.

We still have a lot to learn on SSE-SSW path. Like VY2ZM was working long
path at the same time I was working XU7, both of us receiving SSE and at the
center of the gray line, including Peter but receiving SSW on XU7 land.

This solar minimum could bring us new lifetime events on 160m

73's

JC
N4IS