Topband: Effect of Ground on a Dipole

Roger Kennedy roger at wessexproductions.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 04:44:52 EDT 2018

Well I did try an Inverted-L at one previous QTH Mike, but it was no better
for DX than my Dipole.

The trouble is that at this QTH I could never get a decent enough radial
system to make an Inverted-L work properly, as I don't have the space. (My
dipole goes outside my own property, but it's high in the air!)

But the other reason I stick with my Dipole is because I find that my DX
Signal on 160m (around the world) compares pretty well with other British
stations who use Verticals. (I have always put this down to the fact that on
Top Band most DX is fairly high angle, unlike on 80m)

I was hoping that more people would comment on my query that if typical Soil
Conductivity is as bad as recently posted on here, a dipole isn't really
that low above "ground", if the ground is so poor!  (this is also why I
think most computer modelling programs are so bad at showing how 160m
antennas work)

Roger G3YRO

Roger, you should try an Inverted-L. :-)
http://www.w0btu.com/160_meters.html

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com