Topband: cutting coax stubs for 80 meter 4-square

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Sat Jun 9 17:19:13 EDT 2018

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately I don't get any indication per the Rig Experts manual with an open. The R/X just does not get any indication from 1982Khz all the way to 10,500+ KHz. On my MFJ-259B (old one) with a short I get at 7.234 Mhz (or about) R=1 and X=0. Suspect the R indicates the short of course but the X=0 is what I am looking for. I'm going to start cutting a little bit at a time and see what happens. I have already verified the coax is not shorted with my ohm meter till I put the gator on it so the coax appears alright.

I am wondering just how 'critical' is getting the lengths exact? One thing I did not quite understand was why the RE said to cut for 20% lower?

Terry
KI7M