Topband: cutting coax stubs for 80 meter 4-square

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Jun 11 19:26:40 EDT 2018

Terry,

I wasn't going to say anything, but now that I hear this I have to tell you
all that my (wonderful!) AA-230Pro came this way to me from the factory a
few yrs ago.  I spent big Canadian bux on it and was pretty disappointed
when most things didn't work on it.  I cracked the case and voila!  A solder
gap exactly as you describe. Get out the soldering iron and fix it up and
was good to go!  I sent pix to the CDN distributor of the "before" interior
of the SO-239.  QC apparently is lacking on these.

Other than that and a very soft battery that won't hold a charge worth
beans, it's been a great little unit.

Mike VE9AA

All's well that ends well I'm happy to report. K2AV, Guy suggested I check
the

SO-239 on the Rig Experts AA-170 and I found an open solder joint between
the

back of the connector and the circuit board. Even with my close in glasses
and

a magnifying glass it was hard to be certain. So a little solder and

'hop-a-long' rides again! It's working. Will check out the coax stub again

see what the RE reads now.

Thanks Guy!

Terry

KI7M