Topband: Baker Island DXpedition condx

n4is at n4is.com n4is at n4is.com
Fri Jun 15 16:38:36 EDT 2018

There is a fine line between "know" and "believe". Like detuning your tower,
directivity increase signal to  noise ratio. You need  RX antenna on 160m in
a quiet place.  Antenna over salt water is one of those things people know
but don't believe. I am 100% sure and I believe that the signal from KH1 on
160m will be solid copy several hours every day in the US East coast.

I remember George signal from the same region with a simple antenna over
salt water and the signal on 160m was 10 t0 20 db better then others
expedition on the same region. The DHDL is not necessary, it is
indispensable!  same way the vertical over salt water.

Propagation has being very good on 160m . Just this morning I worked  Dave
ZL2OK on SSB with 57 report plus QRN on 1845, lots of QRN. LU5OM and LU6YF
signal was booming in here, Manuel and Juan signal was s9 on the s-meter. I
has heard on VK3 and VK6 as well.

Yes, QRN is a problem on the summer time, it is not so bad in the mornings
but nobody say 160m is an easy band.

This is the case on 160m that we never know!  but I am a believer,
dedication is the most important aspect on low bands, turn on your radio and
call CQ!

73's
N4IS