Topband: Excessive noise on beverages

Wes Stewart wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Wed Mar 7 01:07:29 EST 2018

Dave,

First I see by my log that we've had two QSOs---35 years apart--- one on 2-meter
EME and one on TB.

I'm no Beverage expert---antenna Beverage that is--- but it seems to me that
shortening the west antenna just decreased its sensitivity.  If you're pointing
at one or more noise sources, there isn't much antenna improvements can do.

I can't recommend a tower detuning mode, however, you might at least consider
terminating the feedpoint on receive rather than leaving it open.  My system is
quite modest on TB, a 55' vertical with an ~85' loading wire.  The separation
between the vertical and a tower is 90'.  The 85' loading wire is attached (via
an insulating rope) to the tower.  The tower supports a triband Yagi and a
dual-band inverted-vee for 40-80. In doing some feedpoint measurements on the
vertical v. number of radials with a vector network analyzer I saw a little
anomaly on the Smith Chart.  To make a long investigation short, I discovered
that either lowering the inverted-vee or terminating the coax at the shack end,
rather than having it open, corrected the anomaly.  I have no clue as to what
this might have been doing to the pattern.

Wes  N7WS