Topband: low inv-vee

Jeff Wilson jjw5257 at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 28 15:31:56 EDT 2018

I have always used an 80m inverted-vee (66.6 ft per side) with apex at
50ft at top of a yagi-free tower attached to a steel workshop and fed
with 450 ohm ladder line and shorted at the tuner in the shack to work
as a top loaded vertical (35ft is actually vertical, rest of the
feedline mostly hortizonal 3ft above a steel roof!

Just worked JA8EAT with 100W on March 12 at 1040Z (thanks Yaz for LOTW
confim and number 131 QSLd on topband...138 worked in 10 years).  No
160m amp here....yet.   Use 16 radials (100-130ft) and temporary winter
600ft Beverages and 200ft Bogs for RX.  Helps being on a hill in the
country as well.  I always feel loud in the ARRL contests to the West
Coast and KH6, but usually have to wait past 0300Z to work any EU even
though I hear them at my sunset.

So are the others (Brian?) talking about a true coax-fed 160m
inverted-vee?  If so, I'm interested!

Jeff  VE3CV

On 3/28/2018 12:00 PM, topband-request at contesting.com wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:26:41 +0000
> From: Brian Campbell <VE3MGY at hotmail.ca>
> To: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab at gmail.com>,
> 	"topband at contesting.com"	<topband at contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: Topband: low inv-vee

> I put up a 1/2 wave Inverted V ( each leg is about 140' ) for 160M in January of this year just so I could do inband SO2R in the CQ160 CW contest. It has its apex at 40' and the ends are at 5'. I would have been very happy to just work any East coast stations during the contest but I found that I was being called by stations from as far away as California down into the Caribbean and everything in between.
>

> This morning I worked Luke ( VK3HJ ) on my Inverted L here at 1110z ( SR-5 min ) and we exchanged Q5 reports - nothing unusual. Then at  SR he disappeared into the noise. Again nothing unusual. After a java refill I came back into the shack and could hear NA stations calling and working him but he was still NIL - not even a single ping could be heard on the Inverted L. Just for fun I switched over to the Inverted V and there he was  539 to 549 - a real booming signal almost as loud as when we worked earlier when I gave him a 559 on the Inverted L. Now it was SR+28 min so when there was no one coming back to his CQ's I called and I almost fell out of my chair when he came back to me. No we didn't make the QSO as he didn't get my full call but the fact that he heard anything is amazing. Had I been running more than 100 watts I have no doubt we could have finished the QSO.
>

> So the Inverted V definitely stays up.
>

> Carl I am a believer :-)
>

> 73,
>
> Brian