Topband: Bizzare EMI Story

JAYB1943 at OPTONLINE.NET JAYB1943 at OPTONLINE.NET
Wed Nov 7 10:31:49 EST 2018

I’m sure there are LOTS of bizarre 160m RFI stories and I am going to add a
few of mine: A few months ago, I added an ALS-600 600w HF amp to the 100w
station on 160 and then the fun began. My XYL informed me that the timer
alarm on the kitchen stove would trigger with each dot or dash I sent. I
agreed to stay off 160 until it was fixed. Ordered and installed 6 ferrite
cores on the AC power line to the stove and added .05 capacitors across each
AC phase in the breaker box to cure that issue. Once back on the air, the
XYL now informed me that the LED light bulbs in the living room would
flicker with 160m CW. Changed the bulbs back to standard incandescent to fix
that problem. Back on the air when the XYL informed me that the exercise
treadmill in the den would start up and run when I was transmitting FT-8 on
160 even though the ac switch was OFF. At this point I am ready to go back
to 2m FM but tried unplugging the treadmill which fixed that problem. I am
now pumping the audio on her CD player in the kitchen so have to go research
that....73 all best DX on Top Band !!!
  Jay NY2NY