Topband: 40m array as RX antenna

n4is at n4is.com n4is at n4is.com
Wed Nov 14 19:41:00 EST 2018

Lee

I agree with you, a vertical array in a quiet place works very well, I
remember our friend Dale. The 8 circle array has almost 13 db RDF and can
hear better than the WF with 11.5db RDF.

The issue is city lot with tons of noise from everywhere. Small back yard
with all cables tower and other wires nothing vertical works there.  Several
contest stations have problems with beverages due to much towers.

Unfortunately situation is getting wroth every year, I am not using my
vertical WF anymore, the noise level with LED and Variable speed motor
drives, is becoming unbearable on the city. Friday and Saturday people here
charge the battery of their boats to enjoy the weekends at the sea, what a
mess, noise from everywhere. The noise on my vertical antenna is s9 during
the week and s9+10 during weekends.

EWE, loops and flags need low NF and good shield. I am just reporting what I
see helping people to install WF's. Most station have serious problem with
common mode noise.

I would suggest a metal box to protect any RX system, it does help.

You never know what you are missing if you have nothing to compare with. I
understand price point is always an issue.

Regards
JC
N4IS