Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary

kolson at rcn.com kolson at rcn.com
Thu Nov 22 02:08:36 EST 2018

And this is easy to say when you have 5 acres in a semi-rural area, hi hi.

As it happens, I do not use a remote RX (it shows!). But at my QTH I can barely fit a K9AY (though it's compromised by masts and other antennas that are necessarily close). I really dig working what DX I can on 160 but even with a lousy TX antenna, I TX better than RX these days. I am sure I am one of those guys that honk people off from time to time because, for me, hearing on 160 is often a come/go proposition. But that's the reality here on the ground.

Now 20 years ago, hearing was a lot easier, but in recent years, with all the noise sources nearby, hearing from most non-rural locations has become problematic (to say the least) on 160. So I can understand why people are considering going to remote RX and personally, as long as the RX site is close enough to the TX site (same grid should suffice) that there is no real propagational advantage, I am cool with that. It's making the best out of today's bad situation in my view.

Moreover, my suspicion is that in 10/20 years, as more and more solar panel controllers, car charging stations, switching supplies, grow lights (as "certain substances"... "certain substances of an illicit nature", as Monty Python would have it, become legal in more places) etc. come on line, non-rural hams on ANY H.F. band without sophisticated RX arrays will be, as my Dad would have put it, S.O.L.

73, Kevin K3OX