Topband: Vertical antennas aren't always best for DX everywhere - the facts

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Nov 22 11:56:23 EST 2018

Hi Rick and Steve,

Steve's QTH is almost directly north of the south geomagnetic pole.
His latitude is approximately 32 degrees south geographic latitude
and approximately 43 degrees south geomagnetic latitude. His QTH
is at approximately the same geomagnetic latitude as the Georgia
in the northern hemisphere.

http://sdnet.thayer.dartmouth.edu/aacgm/aacgm_calc.php#AACGM

I can't comment on the actual horizontal vs. vertical polarization
experience of topband operators in the Georgia.; however, W8JI lives
in Georgia and his experience with a very high horizontally polarized
dipole was mostly unfavorable compared to his 4-square vertical
array. Georgia probably has reasonably good soil conductivity.

My suspicion is that the soil in the Fresnel zone of Steve's vertical
antennas (the mostly far field region where ground gain is developed)
has very poor conductivity. Poor Fresnel Zone conductivity has very
little impact on the performance of horizontally polarized antennas.

AM broadcast antenna engineers who have worked in VK6 may have
some experience with soil conductivity impacts on the effectiveness
of AM broadcasting antennas in that area.

73
Frank
W3LPL