Topband: Polarization on 160m

Tree tree at kkn.net
Wed Nov 28 12:04:30 EST 2018

WIll add my two cents to this discussion.

One thing I have experience with is diversity reception both on 160 and 80
meters.  Often - I would be using my TX antenna in one ear and a beverage
in another.  On 80 meters, the TX antenna was a 4 square.  On 160, either a
vertical or two element phased array.

I found on 80 meters - when running JAs in a contest - if I only used one
antenna - I would almost always miss one letter of the JA's callsign and
have to ask for a repeat...  but with diversity - the signal would float
around in my head and I could almost always get the whole call the first
time.

I can hear this effect on 160 as well as signals float around.  I can't
prove this is just polarization - as it could be different angles of signal
arrival - but it sure re-enforces the point that having different kinds of
RX antennas for different situations is never a bad thing.

I have experienced some sunrise openings where a low dipole has worked
well.  There are times when my directive receive antennas seem to be broken
- which is another indication of high angles.

Tree N6TR