Topband: Air wound coil

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Sep 3 07:20:56 EDT 2018

I ran the same model in 4Nec2 as below but changed the hat from the traditional two wires to four, spaced 90 degs.  Complex base Z is near 16+j0.  Even though two symmetrical top-hat wires produce little radiation, four wires result in wires that are only 24 ft long to achieve resonance -- versus 41 ft with only two wires.  Getting to six would result in a smaller top hat but may not be worth the mechanical hassle.

>"4Nec2 shows that with a 68 ft. thin radiator, resonance can be achieved with wires roughly 41 ft. per side.  With a ground field of 60 radials, 90 ft long on sandy ground, 4Nec2 reports a base impedance of 15.4+j2.5."

Paul, W9AC