Topband: Radial wire

VK3HJ vk3hj_luke at barefoothorse.com.au
Wed Sep 5 21:38:20 EDT 2018

You in America have no idea how cheap and easy it is there to buy stuff, all
sorts of stuff for our hobby.

I used 2.5 mm galvanised high-tensile steel wire for my beverages. 1500
metres cost me $170.

For my buried ground radials, my cheapest option is 2.5 mm Building Wire, at
$29/100 metre roll. I am looking forward to removing my elevated
counterpoise as it is just too much work to keep in the air. I have a couple
of very large hairy people living in the home paddock, who insist on
scratching themselves on the support poles and with the wet winter we've
had, there are poles being pushed over and wires are breaking. On ground
radials are not an option, as I have cattle in the paddock sometimes, and
they will just eat PVC insulated wire on the ground.

Looking forward to hearing more of you on Top Band over the next few months
as we go through the Spring equinox. I had a decent opening a few evenings
ago to NA, plus one JA.

73,

Luke VK3HJ