Topband: Radial wire

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Thu Sep 6 18:27:00 EDT 2018

I have maybe 45 radials, some of them
WD-1A. I bought over a mile of CAT cable
and used it for antennas and radials,
silver-soldering the wires together &
attaching them to the plate or coax with
ring terminals. They worked fine for
radials, show no wear after around 8
years.

I used WD-1A for a couple bi-directional
Beverages and found the salt marsh with
tall phragmites dry & blowing in the wind
set up so much static that it was noisier
than my then INV-L. At that time I went to
HI-Z antennas and never looked back. I
used the WD-1A for new radials, cutting it
into 130' sections & silver-soldering this
as well. The WD-1A is only 5 or so years
old as radials but I see zero issues in an
acidic salt marsh thus far.

However... As to splitting the WD-1A,
don't try it, it's a waste of time. You
have to carefully get the wire split so as
to not expose the stainless inside and
then once you finally do get the two
halves apart and pull them apart, you have
a pair of snake-like helixes. The abrupt
bend as they separate makes the helix and
it will not lay flat. If you were to bury
it, it'd probably be OK.

I use WD-1A for antenna wire now, bought
about 2 miles of it for the future & will
likely use it in its natural paired state
for radials when I relocate.

My 2 pence.

73,

Gary