Topband: Radial Wire

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 20:09:50 EDT 2018

Joel W5ZN wrote:

... low cost radial wire options got me thinking about WD1A. Anyone have any experience with it as radial wire?? There are two wires that should pull apart easily ...

I use WD1A wire mostly for (single direction) Beverages, but also as radials at the ends of those antennas. In my experience it is excellent for both applications BUT only if the two wires remain joined. If they are pulled apart they seem to be self tangling! I think that the wire is actually a very clever design - the two wires appear to have opposite twists - so it lays very flat and straight.

(I know this is not the subject of the posts, but I would emphasise that WD1A is horrible for bi-directional Beverages as the loss is excessive in the transmission line mode.)

73 Roger
 VE3ZI