Topband: 160m antenna help

Paul Mclaren paul.mcl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:06:52 EDT 2018

Looking for the advice of the experienced hams for what if anything I
should do to make my 160m inverted L more efficient.   Being realistic I am
limited as I have a postage stamp garden so can't really lay more radials
or change much beyond the inverted L.  I guess the question is would some
sort of match at the base help?

Antenna is inverted L with 18m vertical section

Radials are approx 40 x 10m lengths and a layer of copper mesh out to about
5 metres from the base as well.

Using my RigExpert AA30 analyser the readings are:

Usual TX frequency:

Freq 1825khz:    SWR: 2.6, R33ohm, X 31ohm, Z 44ohm, L: 2700nH

Lowest SWR is:

Freq 1882kHz:   SWR 1.7, R72.5ohm, X20.5ohm, Z77ohm, L: 1900nH

I'll be honest and confess I don't fully understand how to best optimise
the antenna and what "good" looks like particularly on the low bands.

Help please and thanks in advance.

Regards

Paul MM0ZBH

The antenna works but no