Topband: Inv L in Tree

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 06:06:16 EDT 2018

Hi, Ed,

Taking the vertical wire up next to the tree trunk will be fairly lossy.
That usually also means that some part of the horizontal wire is going
through the tree canopy, which will be further lossy. See k2av.com . Click
on the green index button "Place an Inverted L". Also read "Design an
Inverted L", "Place an FCP" and "The Loss List". Note the issue with not
having trees (or parts of them) "inside the bend" of the L. Read them all
with an eye to understanding the loss issues.

There certainly are situations where a variety of local constraints will
make the most efficient method otherwise inadvisable, e.g. wire in
neighbor's tree not being seen. :>))  Oh, what an enormous advantage are
great relations with the neighbors!

But, while you are the only one who really knows what you can and can't get
away with, if you know what causes RF loss in an antenna, then you are also
the only one who can muse on the problem for a while and invent a variation
in the arrangement that stays within your local restraints **and** avoids
most or all of the loss.

Let me know off-reflector if you want to discuss this over the phone. That
is sometimes a lot more direct and far less time consuming than email.

In any event, good luck with it & 73,

Guy K2AV