Topband: The DXpedition FT8 quandry

Edward Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 9 18:19:36 EDT 2019

There continues to be a trend for DXpeditions to be "active on 160M" by
firing up FT8.  Sadly, in some cases, recently XT2 and 5T5, there appears to
be no attempt to be on 160M except for FT8.  A far different scenario that
utilizing it because of bad band conditions.  I worked 5T5 on 20, 40, 80M
and they seemed to have no problem hearing in general.

I am curious what topbanders are doing.  Work them no matter what just to be
sure you have the topband Q?  Waiting to see if CW appears?  Waiting for
"the next one"?

Personally, the counter isn't the only goal.  Its also full enjoyment.  And
the very concept of clicking on the screen with the volume turned down and
waiting for the CFM message to appear, just doesn't do it for me.

I was only marginally chasing "Challenge" band countries.  Always with an
eye towards 160M and 80M rather than full sweep.  The FT8 trend is clearly
challenging that pursuit for traditional CW.

Where are you coming down on this these days?

Ed  N1UR