Topband: VI9NI

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Apr 10 10:10:56 EDT 2019

I would echo ur comments, Bob. I had to scrape the XYL's car windows
early this morning, as we have had two days of snow and ice. So after
finishing the ice removal, I went and checked 160 M before sunrise. The
band was a tad noisy and I started CQing on 1822 and went on for awhile
with no answers.  AA1K was calling CQ as well. I even tuned up to the
FT-8 segment to see who and what was going on.  Back to calling CQ on CW
on 1822.5 and VI9NI answered my CQ.  I almost fell over. We exchanged
reports and a few FBs then they went up to 1825.5. I stayed on 1822 and
then VK6VZ in Perth showed up right after! Both stations peaked up
really loud. VI9NI hit S9 for a few minutes and was good copy for about
15 minutes after my sunrise at 10:11UT. All this with the K index at
four! Nothing heard on northern paths.  No JAs and no HL5IVL.  VK6VZ was
good copy on a skewed path aimed west. Normal direct path is about 330
degrees for me and thru the AU belt.

A number of us East Coast stations worked VI9NI and many midwestern
stations made the grade. They must have had fun on Norfolk Island!

73

Dave K1WHS