Topband: doublet as marconi

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Apr 10 17:22:37 EDT 2019

On 4/10/2019 10:33 AM, Mike DeChristopher wrote:

> My plan is a 200' doublet (100' each side) about 100' high fed with ladder
> line. At the base will be a legal limit remote autotuner and thereafter
> hardline to the shack. That setup should handle 10-80. On 160, I'd like to
> short the ladder line together and feed as a T against the existing radial
> field.
>
> Mike N1TA

This can be made to work, but keep in mind that it will be resonant way
down in the BCB, something like 1.2 MHz.  The drive impedance on 160
will be fairly high (maybe 50 to 100 ohms) with a lot of inductive
reactance in series. You can probably skimp on the radials because of
this.  It would be somewhat debatable as to whether to call this a true
Marconi antenna, but it should work fine anyway.

73
Rick N6RK