Topband: The DXpedition FT8 quandary

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Sat Apr 13 11:00:10 EDT 2019

A ham friend, participant on many, many big DXpeditions, and a terrific CW/RTTY
op, presented to our DX club a while back.  During  the presentation he asked
for a show of hands of those who actually have audio on when operating digital
modes.  I raised my hand, since on RTTY I feel that hearing the pileup is
beneficial.  He shook his head and stated more-or-less that he loved FT-8
because he didn't have to listen to it for hours.  Draw your own conclusions of
where this might be headed.  I've worked about 80 countries just fooling around
with FT-8 but I don't claim them for DXCC credit, and in fact, none are new ones.

Re: financial support.  Personally, I contribute to NCDXF, INDEXA and individual
expeditions I feel deserve it.  My DX club also supports NCDXF.  That said,
after contributing a substantial amount to the snake oil salesman who organized
a major expedition,  but made promises that he had no intention of keeping, I no
longer contribute ahead of time.  If I judge an expedition to be worthy after
the fact, I'll still contribute.

Wes  N7WS