Topband: Lack of activity is not just on 160 CW

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Tue Apr 23 02:53:15 EDT 2019

FWIW guys and gals,

I can tell you the lack of activity is not just on CW and not just one band. I've lately been getting up early enough to catch the morning European openings on 20 SSB. Rarely do I get any one from 'across the pond' coming back to my CQ DX over the north pole on SSB. That between 1730-1930 GMT. There will definitely be propagation I know cause when I do work someone 'over there' I can get reports like 59 or 59+10/20. That one came from 9A9RR today. I manage to work some by hunt and peck moving up and down the band and there will be some pretty strong stations part of the time out of Europe or Asia. But try and sit on a frequency and call CQ DX over the pole and see if you get much activity. Just isn't happening guys. Of course some VE's and stateside call in just letting me know I'm 59+ out their way...funny how the 3 element Steppir has such a wide beam width.

I miss managing to work 50-60-70 or more in a session but I'm hoping for better activity later in the Spring and Summer (maybe). There is also the static. With my hearing and hearing aids it isn't much fun dealing with the static. But just be aware, lack of activity apparently is effecting a lot of the bands no mater how big you antennas are or which band you are on. Or at least a couple of modes I can think of.

Will 'Endeavor to persevere' as Chief Dan George said (think that was what he went by).

Terry

KI7M