Topband: Lack of NA Activity on CW

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Tue Apr 23 06:17:20 EDT 2019

Let's ponder:

FT8 - everyone is on ONE center frequency
(passband) and their computer is transmitting
every 15 seconds for hours on end, regardless if
they are in contact with another computer or not
FT8 - all the computers that are "hearing" other
computers are making use of the built in 50 Hz filter in FT8
FT8 - computers "heard" are lined up and presented nicely sorted on the screeen
FT8 - some computers that are not fully copied
are still presented as "heard" by use of the "a priori" functionality
FT8 - listening in by ear on 1840 it sure sounds like high activity

CW - people call CQ on an unspecified frequency, sometimes with long interrupts
CW - listeners can't easily surf the band and dig
in the noise in 50 Hz bandwidth
CW - without knowledge of who is where we need
good signals to attract our attention and so we can start focusing
CW - summer conditions vary, but one thing is for
sure, the noise is certainly higher and many have
taken their microscopes (receiving antennas) down for the season
CW - many of us also have to live with a less
effective TX antenna during the summer as we have
to roll in our extensive radial field
CW - the KST chat list a lot of interesting and
capable stations but most of them don't transmit every 15 seconds
CW - not all who are active announce themselves on KST

Bottom line:

CW - it sure would be easier for us to only
monitor a specific world wide calling frequency, but this is not realistic
CW - we have to accept that it is more difficult
to do manual CW than single channel FT8 for reasons described above
CW - if we transmit more we will be heard :-)
CW - we are not lazy operators, we still love CW
and continue to make noise whenever we can, despite the problems listed above
CW - we take on a challenge, we don't give up
CW- we look at the surrounding actors in a
realistic way and realize what they are doing,
duly noting that our table has better food
CW - we fully admire our colleagues in the
southern hemisphere for being there all the time
during our prime season up north!

CW is King!

73
Peter SM2CEW