Topband: Lack of NA Activity on CW

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Wed Apr 24 16:12:02 EDT 2019

You are so right Dave. Even from the west coast working JA's it can require a lot of work and perseverance especially with the weak ones. There are times working 3 or even 4 a minute can occur but I have not seen those conditions for a few years now even on 15 or 20 meters. And anyone who says such-n-such is easy has not spent a lot of time in an SSB contest. You can learn so much about conditions while transmitting a CQ call repeatedly that you never really know by just listening. And just like Steelhead fishing, anything you say about it will be proven wrong by the next guy.

I especially love the unexpected openings like working a 4X about 9-10 PM local as the JA's are disappearing. Totally unexpected but that's the mystery that always brings me back for more. And to build a bigger antenna.

I know CW is tough and my skills with it will never be near what some of the hams I've known. DXpeditions can be easier with just my call and SNN, maybe a TU. But to say 'no skill to learn and it's all easy' means someone hasn't a clue what they are talking about. And knowing when to try and work some part of the world can be a real challenge.

Terry
KI7M