Topband: FT-8 performance

Marco Cogoni cogoni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 11:09:29 EDT 2019

Hi,

I agree with Jerry. I spent a few weeks trying to use FT8 to obtain
antenna radiation patterns and I discovered how the SNR is computed:
it's totally flawed. Basically WSJTX computes the number in two steps:
the first one estimates how strong the adjacent frequency bins are with
respect to the bin of interest. Then this value is corrected by
estimating the baseline noise in a 2.5kHz bandwidth.

The bad is that in this way the program is trying to unify a QRM concept
(how strong adjacent noise is) with band noise (due to QRN or whatever
wide band there is).

I found out the problem because using WSPR SNR estimations lead to
antenna patterns that are very similar to NEC simulated antennas but FT8
data produced WORSE patterns for the BEST antennas. This is due to the
fact that best antennas receive far more signals so WSJTX gives a worse SNR.

I tried to talk with Joe Taylor about this, but he said that this method
is what he thinks it is best for a general use, if I have a better one,
just go and modify the code yourself.

I have a feeling that this way of computing the SNR was chosen because
it makes you think, as Jerry pointed out, that FT8 can magically decode
signals that are absolutely not hearable. That's highly dubious.

What FT8 does achieve is an extreme overlapping of signals over 2.5kHz,
but at the expense of not really being able to tell the SNR...

If you want to dig deeper in the FT8 implementation have a look at AB1HL
Robert Morris' FT8 Python implementation that is heavily commented and
very very educational: https://github.com/rtmrtmrtmrtm/basicft8

He also wrote a full code/decode high performance software (not so easy
to understand...): https://github.com/rtmrtmrtmrtm/weakmon

Hope it helps!

73,

marco / IS0KYB