Topband: FT-8 performance

Paul Ferguson Paul at PaulFerguson.us
Sun Aug 4 16:24:23 EDT 2019

Jerry,

The difference in the FT8 reported SNR and how most hams think of SNR
seems explained well by Jim, KC5RUO.

http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/1957

https://tapr.org/pdf/DCC2018-KC5RUO-TheReal-FT8-JT65-JT9=SNR.pdf

He says for FT8, the noise bandwidth that impacts FT8 software´s
ability to decode data is 6.250 Hz. WSJT calculates the total power
(all signals and noise) in the 2500 Hz bandwith, and uses it as the
denominator in SNR calculations.

Jim says "it would make more sense to measure the SNR in the bandwidth
that's really used by the receiver; but it may be hard to determine or
define that "true" receive bandwidth. So in short, your eyes and ears
are not deceiving you. Those JT65/JT9/FT8 signals are very much so well
above the noise."

The following shows if you focus on a single FT8 signal in a 6.250 Hz
bandwidth, the WSJT reported SNR needs to have 26 dB added:

SNRFSKFT8 = SNRreportedFT8 + (10 x LOG (2500 Hz/6.250 Hz))
SNRFSKFT8 = SNRreportedFT8 + (10 x LOG (400))
SNRFSKFT8 = SNRreportedFT8 + 26 dB

73,
Paul K5ESW
Raleigh, NC