Topband: 160: Digital only DXCC needed

kolson at rcn.com kolson at rcn.com
Tue Aug 6 15:00:12 EDT 2019

"I said already last year. FT 8 and K1JT will kill our hobby. It takes away all efforts, challenge and personal touch."

Read the W6AM book, get the West Coast DX bulletin compilation book and dig back to your efforts in the '60s and '70s (if you were around). Even without FT8, DXing is mega easier in the 21 Century than before. The "efforts, challenge and personal touch" has been eroding for the last 30 years or so and we GOT OVER IT! So why is FT8 suddenly the tipping point? It's just a continuation of what was already going on for decades as technology unfolds.

"I saw yesterday 2 Hams saying,they will sell their equipment and go QRT for ever in our hobby."

Must not be very committed hams. Or old and tired...

"The ONLY possible hope, is ,if ARRL change the rules,and NOT include this FT 8 in mixed band dxcc:s. Make a special FT 8 award. That might help."

Personally, I have no objection to this. But THIS is the move that will save ham radio???

"And that dx-expeditions will be ONLY CW/SSB/RY 75 % and may be FT 8  25 %.Fair ?"

Why shouldn't the DXpeditioners and the Ham Radio "marketplace" decide? BTW, whenever I have operated from DX QTH's, except for Phone DX contests, I work CW. Personal preference.

"I am happy ,I was active 1960 up to this day,and have had so much fun,,,BEFORE"

This actually makes me sad to read. I say, be happy and operate how you prefer, let the others go their way. I try to never let what others choose to do ruin my fun!

I can be a cynical old coot, but I am still optimistic that Ham Radio will continue to bring enjoyment to all who discover it whatever their interests. I see young folks at the local Record Store still buying Vinyl records, likewise I suspect some young folks will fall in love with CW and SSB (if we let them).

73, Kevin K3OX