Topband: Effect of trees on vertical elements?

John Harper johnae5x at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 19:57:49 EDT 2019

I'm thinking of installing an end-fed half-wave dipole as an "inverted U"
for 160m. My tree geometry is such that the antenna would be fed at the
base of a tree, then go up it to 120 feet. Then about 90 feet to another
tree and down it to complete the length of the antenna.

Would the close proximity of the vertical portions to the two trees
adversely affect the antenna's performance?

Last year I used my 80m dipole-110-foot vertical feedline as a top-loaded
vertical on 160 - it worked well as a transmitting antenna but was a poor
receiver due to noise so looking for another option.

Tnx/73,

John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com