Topband: Effect of trees on vertical elements?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Aug 20 21:45:58 EDT 2019

I would never consider compromising a TX antenna just to hear better.
Perhaps a T vertical with a feedline choke similar to your 80m dipole
and feedline radiator footprint would help with any local noise. Also
there are many small RX antenna options.  My station in Aruba was on a
small city lot and I used a Pennant for RX which definitely received
better than my shortened TX vertical.

John KK9A

John Harper AE5X wrote:

Thanks for the info guys.

If only I had room for a dedicated rx antenna - then I'd leave the
top-loaded vertical as is. I was copied in New Zealand with it on 630m WSPR
with 1 watt ERP.

So a happy medium is what I'm after since an excellent tx antenna does me
no good if I can't hear those calling me.

John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com