Topband: BOG questions

Mark Lunday wd4elg at outlook.com
Sat Aug 24 23:13:56 EDT 2019

This is interesting.  Thanks for sharing, Mikek.

I put down 200 feet of insulated wire BOG pointed at EU, just set it down on the ground...sometimes over a fallen small tree but almost always within 12 inches of ground.

I fed it with 75 ohm TV cable.  I did not terminate it, and I used a KD9SV transformer and added a pre-amp right next to it.

It picked up EU signals sooner than my HiZ or dipole at 60 feet that was broadside to EU.

It worked on 80, though not as well.  On 160 it was highly susceptible to AM BCB.

I started listening in October.  Something changed in March.  Suddenly it went deaf.  Not sure if it was because of all the rain in the winter, or the sprouting of the grasses.

I have not been out into the field, because it is covered with thorny bushes.  I already ripped up and scarred my shin badly when I moved 2 of the HiZ vertical elements in April.   It was not painful, but it looked like my shin was in a knife fight or that I was attached by a big dog.

Anyway, I am wondering why the bog went so deaf suddenly.  I will try it again when we get into November.

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
Greensboro, NC  FM06be
wd4elg at arrl.net
http://wd4elg.blogspot.com
SKCC #16439  FISTS #17972  QRP ARCI #16497
Topband Reflector