Topband: Morning (W6 time) opening to European Russian today at ~1300Z during ARRL contest

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Mon Dec 9 03:29:44 EST 2019

You were a very good signal here Rick all the time you were in
darkness. Unfortunately you never heard me and I know there were
other callers as well from northern Europe :-)

Super signals from all over NA this past weekend. The band never died
as long as there was darkness over the entire, or some part of the,
continent. Interesting to note, after sunrise here at 65.4N stations
from the east coast, who still were in complete darkness, got
noticeable weaker while the mid west and west coast stations got
stronger. This follows the trend I've seen befor.

The band was packed with NA signals, all the way up and above 1850 kHz.

Two types of QSB were predominant. The usual very slow QSB with nulls
and peaks that last for more than a minute, and the very rapid QSB
which takes signals in and out of the noise in 10 seconds or so. This
was especially noticeable on KH6/KU1CW - in the morning hours my time
very short but strong peaks, come noon and afternoon more or less
solid copy all the way until sunrise in KH6.

It is always interesting to hear west coast NA working Asia while I
am hearing both sides equally strong. The problem for me is that you
guys in NA are predominantly (of course) listening with antennas
pointing to Asia, so it is not easy to get a QSO with you at that
time of day. Despite very good signals at this end.. but a bunch of
us up north were indeed trying hard to get your attention.. :-)

Too many calls to mention who stood outover time. But looking at the
most difficult path straight over the pole K7CW, N7ZG, N7DD, N2IC,
W6AYC, N6RK, KH6/KU1CW, KL7FB plus the amazing signals all day from
the potent VE6 crowd - VE6WZ, VE6WQ, VE6BBP. And K0RF, like a beacon
at all times.

As I've said these are just a few calls picked out from all the
stations heard over the weekend. I worked 55 of you, so not bad
considering I was only on from early morning and I did not burn the
any end of the candle in the middle of the night.

This weekend is pretty much on par with the way the band was in 2011.
That's the year that I made it to 49 states worked, only missing MS.
This Sunday morning I heard N4OGW in MS working mainly NA stations
before he suddenly disappeared, ouch..! :-)

Let's hope these lovely band conditions continue well past The Stew
and the CQ 160M CW !

73
Peter SM2CEW