Topband: COSMIC RAY UPDATE

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Dec 14 15:19:41 EST 2019

During the last minimum, there were times when high northern latitude
stations in zone 17 and 18 would be very strong for long periods of time
here in southern California. Last Sunday morning during the ARRL 160
contest there was an opening that had that very low absorption
characteristic (RA4LW was briefly pumping my AGC), but it was very short
lived opening. Nothing like the sustained openings from the last cycle.

I've been hoping for a repeat performance of the last cycle, but so far
I've been disappointed. Perhaps the GCR phenomenon is the reason. We are
still early into the winter season, so perhaps there is still some hope.