Topband: 160 conditions

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Dec 16 01:30:12 EST 2019

Thanks for coming back to me, Tom. The only reason I knew the band was
open is that I was sitting on 1821.0 listening for S01WS who had been
spotted there. Apparently he was gone because, Eric NO3M, asked if the
frequency was in use and then started calling CQ. I was surprised to
hear HB9CAT come back to him with a good signal. I need HB9 on 160 CW,
so I decided I would try calling CQ at 1820.2 KHz. HB9CAT never answered
me, but you and a whole string of other stations in the UK answered, all
with very good signals. I wish my RX situation was better (I was just
using the TX antenna). A couple of stations called near the end of the
opening, but I wasn't able to pull out their their full callsigns.